1. You have just been hired by securiDoor Corporation, the manufacture of a revolutionary new garage door opening device. The president has asked that you review the company’s costing system and “do what you can to help us get better control of our manufacturing overhead costs.” You find that the company has never used a flexible budget, and you suggest that preparing such a budget would be an excellent first step in overhead planning and control.
After much effort and analysis, you determined the following cost formulas and gathered the following actual cost data for April:
Cost formula Actual cost in April
Utilities $16,000 plus $.16 per machine-hour $20,840
Maintenance $38,200 plus $1.70 per machine-hour $64,300
Supplies $.80 per machine-hour $15,000
Indirect labor $94,900 plus $2.00 per machine-hour $133,800
Depreciation $68,300 $70,000
During April, the company worked 17,000 machine-hours and produced 11,000 units. The company had originally planned to work 19,000 machine-hour during April.
1. Complete a report showing the activity variance for April.
2. The KGV blood bank, a private charity partly supported by government grants, is located on the Caribbean island of St. Lucia. The blood bank has just finished its operations for September, which was the particularly busy moth due to a powerful hurricane that hit neighboring islands causing many injuries. The hurricane largely bypassed St. Lucia, but residence of St. Lucia willingly donated their blood to help people on other islands as a consequence, the blood bank collected and processed over 20% more blood than had been originally planned for the month.
A report prepared by a government official comparing actual costs budgets costs for the blood bank is given below. (The currency on St. Lucia is the East Caribbean dollar.) Continued support from the government depends on the blood bank’s ability to demonstrate control over its costs.
KGV Blood Bank
Cost Control Report
For The March Ended September 30
Planning Budget Actual Result Variance
Liters of blood collected 700 880
Medical supplies $ 8,225 $ 10,367 $2,142 U
Lab tests 10,185 12,357 2,172 U
Equipment depreciation 2,000 2,200 200 U
Rent 1,200 1,200 0 U
Utilities 320 344 24 U
Administration 14,130 14,395 265 U
Total expenses $ 36,060 $ 40,863 $ 4,803 U
The managing director of the blood bank was very unhappy with this report, claming that his costs were higher than expected due to the emergency on the neighboring islands. He also pointed out that the additional costs had been fully covered by payments from grateful recipients on the other islands. The government official who prepared the report countered that all of the figures had been submitted by the blood bank to the government; he was just point out that actual costs were a lot higher than promised in the budget.
The following costs formulas were used to construct the planning budget;
Medical supplies $ 11.75q
Lab tests $ 14.55q
Equipment depreciation $ 2,000
Rent $ 1,200
Utilities $ 320
1. Complete the performance report the September using the flexible budget approach.
3. Facilitator Corp. is a company that acts as a facilitator in tax-favored real estate swap. Such swaps, know as 1031exchanges, permit participants to avoid some or all of the capital gains taxes that would otherwise be due. The bookkeeper for the company has been asked to prepare a repot for the company to help its owner/manager analyze performance. The first such report appears below:
Analysis of Revenues and costs
For the Month Ended May31
Planning Budget Unit Actual Unit Variances
Revenues and Costs Revenues and Costs
Exchanges complete 25 30
Revenue $580 $530 $ 50 U
Legal and search fees 152 155 3 U
Office expenses 168 134 34 F
Equipment depreciation 27 21 6 F
Rent 72 58 14 F
Insurance 16 13 3 F
Total expenses 435 381 54 F
Net Operating Income $145 $149 $ 4 F
Note that the revenues and cost in the above repot are unit revenues and costs. For the example, the average office expenses is $168 per exchange complete on the planning budget; whereas, the average actual office expense is $134 per exchange complete.
Legal and search fees in a variable cost; office expenses is a mixed cost; and equipment depreciation, rent, and insurance are fixed costs. In the planning budget, the fixed component of office expenses was $4,100.
All the company’s revenues come from fees collected when an exchange is complete.
2. Complete a performance report that would help the owner/manager assess the performance of the company in My.
We are committed to making our customer experience enjoyable and that we are keen on creating conditions where our customers feel secured and respected in their interactions with us.
With our qualified expert team who are available 24/7, we ensure that all our customer needs and concerns are met..
Our refund policy allows you to get your money back when you are eligible for a refund. In such a case, we guarantee that you will be paid back to your credit card. Another alternative we offer you is saving this money with us as a credit. Instead of processing the money back, keeping it with us would be an easier way to pay for next the orders you placeRead more
All orders you place on our website are written from scratch. Our expert team ensures that they exercise professionalism, the laid down guidelines and ethical considerations which only allows crediting or acknowledging any information borrowed from scholarly sources by citing. In cases where plagiarism is confirmed, then the costumier to a full refund or a free paper revision depending on the customer’s request..Read more
Quality is all our company is about and we make sure we hire the most qualified writers with outstanding academic qualifications in every field. To receive free revision the Company requires that the Customer provide the request within fourteen (14) days from the first completion date and within a period of thirty (30) days for dissertations.Read more
We understand that students are not allowed to seek help on their projects, papers and assignments from online writing services. We therefore strive to uphold the confidentiality that every student is entitled to. We will not share your personal information elsewhere. You are further guaranteed the full rights of originality and ownership for your paper once its finished.Read more
By placing an order with us, you agree to the service we provide. We will endear to do all that it takes to deliver a comprehensive paper as per your requirements. We also count on your cooperation to ensure that we deliver on this mandate.Read more