Sociology questions for Uggen Manza and Thompson 2006 Citizenship Democracy and the Civic Reintegration of Criminal Offenders
General Instructions: Your answers should be 2-6 sentences, depending on the question. Include page numbers in your responses so that you can refer back to the reading during the discussion.
Questions for Uggen, Manza and Thompson (2006), “Citizenship, Democracy, and the Civic Reintegration of Criminal Offenders,” pp. 281-310:
[Note: You may skip the appendix at the end of the article]
1. How many ex-felons (i.e., non-incarcerated felons) are there in American society? How has this changed since the late 1960s?
Questions for Uggen et al. (2006) and Alexander (2012), The New Jim Crow, pp. 140-178:
[Please also review Alexander (2012), pages 93-96].
2. What are the civic/legal consequences of having a criminal record – especially a felony conviction?
3. What are the major economic consequences of having a criminal record? (The legal and economic consequences overlap some).
4. Why/how does the treatment of ex-convicts disproportionately affect African Americans?
Questions for Alexander (2012), pages 140-220:
5. For ex-convicts (of any race), what are some of the informal consequences of having a criminal record?
6. What are the main similarities between Jim Crow and mass incarceration?
7. What are the main differences between Jim Crow and mass incarceration? In your answer, be sure to refer to, and explain, the idea that mass incarceration is an “officially colorblind” system (Alexander 2012, p. 183).
8. Review Alexander’s (2012) overall explanation for the growth of incarceration (i.e., increasing number of prisoners since the 1970s). How is her explanation similar to, or different from, the ideas presented in lecture?
9. create a question and answer by yourself ( the question should relate to the readings)
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more