“Recitatif,” by Toni Morrison
1. How does Roberta remember the Maggie incident differently from Twyla? Why does Twyla find this disturbing?
2. Under what circumstances do Roberta and Twyla have their most hostile meeting?
3. The author does not clearly indicate the racial identity of the two girls, i.e., who is black, and who is white. In a story that gives much descriptive detail, how do you explain this omission?
“The Red Convertible,” by Louise Erdrich
4. What talent does Lyman say he always had?
5. What does Lyman imply when he says that even when Henry returned from Vietnam, “for him it [the war] would keep on going”?
6. Why does Lyman deliberately trash the red convertible?
7. How is it clear that Henry is not trying to save himself? What do his final words indicate?
“Why I Live at the P.O.,” by Eudora Welty
8. Why is Sister (the narrator) skeptical about Stella-Rondo’s claim that her two-year-old daughter is adopted?
9. What evidence does the story give to justify Sister’s belief that “the whole entire house [is] on Stella-Rondo’s side and turned against [her]”?
10. What action of Uncle Rondo’s finally leads Sister to move out? What does Sister do prior to moving out?
Extra credit: These three stories all deal with complex relationships between siblings or friends. Does the relationship improve or deteriorate as each story progresses? Are the relationship conflicts ultimately resolved in these stories? Refer specifically to each story.
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more