Pf exam radicals and rational exponents
Exam: 050294RR – Radicals and Rational Exponents
1. Simplify by rationalizing the denominator.
2. What are the mean and standard deviation of the data – 6, 12, 2, – 4, 1, 6, 0, 3?
A. The mean is and the standard deviation is approximately 5.6252.
B. The mean is and the standard deviation is approximately 5.6252.
C. The mean is and the standard deviation is 5.
D. The mean is 4.86 and the standard deviation is 5.63.
3. Simplify assuming the variables represent non-negative numbers.
4. Which of these radical expressions simplifies to x?
5. What best describes the triangle whose corners are located at the points (1, 1), (2, 2), and (0, 16)?
A. It has area 22 square units.
B. It is isosceles.
C. None of the above.
D. It is a right triangle.
6. Which of the following best describes imaginary numbers?
A. They are the complex numbers.
B. They consist of two values, the principal imaginary number i and its negative –i.
C. They are the values of expressions of the form for various real numbers a, as long as a ≠ 0.
D. They are not numbers, but are useful in solving equations.
7. Expand and simplify. Assume y = 0.
8. Two children in nearby houses attempt to use walkie-talkies to communicate. The walkie-talkies reach
one quarter of a mile (1320 feet). From one child’s house to the other, the walk along the city sidewalks is
as follows: Proceed 450 feet from the first house to the nearest corner, turn right 90° and proceed another
1050 feet. Are the children’s houses within the 1320-foot range of one another? Choose the best answer.
A. Yes, as the distance formula indicates.
B. No, but if the turn were to the left instead, they would be within range.
C. Yes, because city blocks are much smaller than one quarter of a mile.
D. No, because the distance is greater than 1320 feet.
9. Simplify .
10. Rationalize the denominator of .
11. Simplify (6 – i)(2 + i).
A. 13 – 8i
B. 13 + 4i
C. 11 + 8i
D. 11 + 4i
12. Compute the value of .
13. Rationalize the denominator of assuming x = 0 and y = 0.
14. Simplify i
15. Which of these expressions is in simplified form?
16. Expand and simplify. Assume c = 0 and d = 0.
17. Solve for x.
18. If the hypotenuse of a right triangle is 6m and one side is 4m, what is the length of the other side?
19. Solve for x.
A. x = 2
B. The two solutions for are complex numbers.
C. x = 2 or x = 8
D. x = 4 or x = –4
20. Simplify .
21. Solve for x.
22. To solve for x, begin with which of these steps?
A. Isolate one radical expression.
B. Combine the two like radicals, then square both sides.
C. Square both sides of the equation.
D. Eliminate the negative in the second radical expression.
23. Simplify .
24. Which of these points is 5 units away from the point (6, –1)?
25. Combine like radicals in .
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more