Practicing Evolutionary Relationships
Below are some examples of phylogenetic trees drawn in different ways.
1. Pick one tree and clearly label the root. Clearly label one branch. Use an arrow to signify which direction time flows.
2. What do the letters A-E represent?
3. Do all three trees depict the same phylogenetic relationships? Yes No
4. What does the red node signify?
5. Which lived more recently in time, the common ancestor of species A and B or the common ancestor of species B and D?
6. Use the above tree to answer the following questions:
a. Pakicetus was a freshwater carnivore that nursed underwater. T F
b. The Blue whale is most closely related to the Dorudon. T F
c. All animals in this tree are carnivores. T F
7. On the above tree, which trait arose first?
a) underwater nursing
b) loss of external hind legs
c) the hippo
d) there’s not enough information to answer this question
8. Explain your reasoning for your answer in question 7.
9. Next to the above tree, place the following labels: Order, Family, Genus, Species
10. Which animals are the most closely related?
a) the otter and skunk
b) the domestic dog and wolf
c) the leopard and skunk
d) the leopard and wolf
11. How do you know?
12. On the above tree, please draw a new branch for the Florida Panther, Puma concolor coryi. Be sure to properly label your new addition.
13. Using the information in the table below, draw your own tree. Be sure to list both the species (at the top) and the trait that unites them (at the node).
|Skin covering||Vertebrate||Breathing apparatus|
|Ray-Finned Fish||No hair||Yes||Swim bladder|
Delivering a high-quality product at a reasonable price is not enough anymore.
That’s why we have developed 5 beneficial guarantees that will make your experience with our service enjoyable, easy, and safe.
You have to be 100% sure of the quality of your product to give a money-back guarantee. This describes us perfectly. Make sure that this guarantee is totally transparent.Read more
Each paper is composed from scratch, according to your instructions. It is then checked by our plagiarism-detection software. There is no gap where plagiarism could squeeze in.Read more
Thanks to our free revisions, there is no way for you to be unsatisfied. We will work on your paper until you are completely happy with the result.Read more
Your email is safe, as we store it according to international data protection rules. Your bank details are secure, as we use only reliable payment systems.Read more
By sending us your money, you buy the service we provide. Check out our terms and conditions if you prefer business talks to be laid out in official language.Read more